Translate

Wednesday 23 July 2014

A poem about the weekend by David Tombale: Let me show you

The weekend tends to be something that most people enjoy, some for rest and relaxation and some for fun and for others it’s a chance to be with the people we love.

Let me show you

The weekend lights upon us out
of the dark like a burning bush,
striking a pin into the soft flesh
of factory worker and office worker
alike, and me.

Can you see us running for overcrowded
buses like lemmings flinging our small
bodies over the lip of a cliff?

Somehow this weekend will find me
waiting for you, flowers in hand watching
the cold night creeping in and the old lady
who often watches from the window above
draws her shawl tight around her neck.

There is a new groove playing from
a nearby jukebox and tonight I know
you’ll want to dance, forget your troubles,
forget Mathematics and Science, toss
those books in a corner, take my hand,
babe I’m asking you please, take my
hand and let me show you the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment