Translate

Monday 28 July 2014

A poem about friendship by David Tombale: Brothers


Some friends become our family over time and when you lose that it can transform you forever.
 
 
 
Brothers
 
I was only ten when daylight struck
 the frost turning rays into falling
 showers, only twelve when the school
 bus stalled and the driver’s hand settled
 on my arm.
 
 I turned thirteen so I could leave,
 I packed my bags and put all those
 signs away.
 
 Fourteen sitting high above the city
 lights on a small brown hill looking down
 and somewhere down there he might lift
 his head and wonder where I am.
 
 There’s thing about two brothers
 that will always be more than friends,
 there’s this thing about these streets that
 turns even simple nights into tests of courage,
 and as the light recedes from my watching
 eyes I think I’ll miss you most.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment