Translate

Thursday 10 July 2014

A poem about imprisonment by David Tombale: The Horizon



The act of imprisoning others beyond any questions of guilt or innocence leaves a scar on a person’s life that isn’t easily forgotten. The Horizon is about putting such an experience down on paper.


The Horizon

I have sat beside these bars to
watch the hours pass,

holding vigil as the sun must
rise to fall again and I outstretch my
hand to catch the rays,

keeping envy breeding inside
myself at the flock of pigeons that
go flying by,

oh must I stay?
Must I remain, locked down like
an animal in a cage?

Pacing this tiny room,
memorizing patterns in the stones,
I am screaming but I will not breathe,

the walls close in and my knuckles
bleed as I pound the hard concrete,

the blue of their uniforms no longer
calls my gaze, it melts within the
small horizon that I’ve made.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment