Translate

Tuesday 15 July 2014

A poem about emotion by David Tombale: Many nights


Many nights is about a situation when it only makes sense to cry but something holds you back whether it’s pride or something else; that gulf between how you feel and how you’re able to react can be huge.  
 
Many nights
 
I have not cried in many nights,
 pacing the curtained confines
 of my single room, trying to track
 the shapes spilling from the light
 of a crescent moon.
 
 The tears have not run their trails
 down my sun kissed skin, my feet
 occasionally kicking child hood dolls
 into the corners where they lie sprawled
 out and forlorn, abandoned these
 many years in boxes we never open.
 
 It feels like yesterday when these
 boxes were filled with armchairs
 and plastic pieces of swing sets,
 some screws perhaps still roll around
 beneath my bed.
 
 My nephews have grown too old for
 them and perhaps I have grown too old
 for tears, too old to cry over forgotten sins,
 memories that stretch out like shadows
 born of trees.
 
 I fall bonelessly upon my bed,
 thinking nothing, only to welcome
 the cool refreshment of a falling tear.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment