Translate

Thursday 3 July 2014

A poem about nostalgia and love by David Tombale: Missing home



There are many reasons to love someone, each personal and unique but they are all the only reason some of us ever need. Missing home is just a reminder of that.



Missing home 


There were more Closed signs than
Open, more reminders than smiling
storekeepers to ease my heart.

My neighborhood fell brick by brick
but I never cried.

The names of my friends poured like
paint in rain, clogging gutters with
dreams of large households that would
never be-

it is these thoughts that kept me
prisoner, rubbed the granules of dirt
around my eyeballs but your cool
lips have met my skin, your long fingers
have gripped my weakness,
they have molded clay,
creating spires out of lumps,
building houses from the earth,
and I have not missed here
ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment