Translate

Monday 21 July 2014

A poem about national pride by David Tombale: I do it for the love


I’ve never been one for national pride but every so often you have to stand up and respect the flag.
 
 
 
I do it for the love
 
Winter cold and summer heat
 as Gaborone’s streets welcome
 me, the scent of hotdogs cooking
 on the grey of asphalt, the taste of
 onions and tomatoes running
 down my tongue, the sound of
 horns blaring at orange traffic lights,
 we’re running, little boys in black
 school shoes playing ball outside
 this old man’s yard while he drinks
 his tea and dreams of the first Khama’s
 days, he waits to welcome his hero’s son,
 waits to lift his hand, to cast his ballot,
 waits to show his love for blue, black
 and white like everyday I wake to show
 my pride in this brawling, crazy city’s
 sights.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment