Translate

Monday 20 January 2014

A Sad Love poem by David Tombale: My Best Friend's Sister

This sad love poem was written for a contest about the secrets people keep. It's a mix of fact and fiction but how much fact and how much fiction will remain my secret.
My Best Friend's Sister

I have loved I think in truth,
Though with her I knew it would
Never be, some thoughts they
Shudder when nights grow cold and
Crimson wine begins to stain
Our lips;

I have loved in truth but hers is
A name I never say, I uproot
A feeling we sowed in battlefields
So far from here, where belly
Rumbled and friends split and
Broke what they held dear;

I have loved in truth another's
Sister, caressed her cheek and
Kissed her lips, I tried to speak
But no words were spoken, I could
Not countenance the peace I'd
Doomed with these hands, with
These eyes! Lo with these eyes.

I have loved in truth but some
Minor angel happened here upon
Our scene and bid me stay, stay
Thy hand and slay not this love
Between two brothers but still
I wondered while I turned my back
And chose to walk away if I'd ever
Love another girl the way I loved
My best friend's sister?

No comments:

Post a Comment