Translate

Monday 20 January 2014

A poem about heartbreak by David Tombale: Beautiful summer days

This poem was written for a contest about memories of summer. This sad piece covers another personal memory picked from my mind about a girl I used to know long ago.
Beautiful summer days

I spent my summers by the river
Whispering these sweet sweet
Words to that laughing girl,
Captivated by the loveliness of
Her smile, honey gold hair and
That carefree laugh I likened to
All the warmth the sun could give.

We lay by the bank of that
Quiet river as the larks sang
In the trees and she made me
Smile as she stroked my cheek
That girl in her Sunday dress,
It clung to her as I clung to her,
Touching rounded curves so
Damn slowly.

Those beautiful summer days filled
My world with so much light
I wish I'd captured them in my
Granny's jars. I loved that girl
All summer long as we ran
And fell and danced in places
That only lovers knew.

Eric tells me that she is happy now
In another Sunday dress with rounded
Belly, a little present lies huddled
In mother's warmth, little baby
Did you know that once your mommy
Loved a boy in the sweltering days
Of summer that we thought would
Last forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment