Translate

Tuesday 28 January 2014

A poem about heartbreak by David Tombale: The last train

This sad love poem doesn't just address losing someone you love but also touches on travelling to escape a life you can no longer stand. It's not only about heartbreak, it's about and self.
The last train

My train is late again,
I hear its wheels rumbling gently on the rails
as it travels near to take me far away

I have to go you see,
there is nothing here that I’m living for
so I think I’ll ply my trade there out at sea,
lifting my sun burnt face to watch the stars
sparkling in the sky

I’ll tell the wind someday
of all the places I have been,
my sojourn amidst the catacombs in Paris,
my time spent sketching the skylines in New York
and when I’m done
perhaps I’ll find my way back to that place where I was born
but I have no hopes

I lost them on that last day in July,
the seasons turned and you were gone
now I’m going down these famous roads
trying to find some meaning in goodbye,
a riddle answered by my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment