Translate

Monday 20 January 2014

A poem about heartbreak by David Tombale: Only In A Dream

This poem was inspired by a personal experience of losing someone I loved to someone I didn't even know. The idea of watching someone fall out of love with you while you find it hard to let go was one I felt I just had to put down on paper.
Only In A Dream

Tis for love
I wandered down these halls,
played merry games from
summer down to fall

but now the merry making has
made too much of us,
the weary heads,
the empty beds,
I've grown sickened by it all;

That's why her laughter rid my
battered heart of all its cares,
that's why her words were sweet
music in this toneless hall,

she was my saving grace,
the amber nectar I only remembered
in my youth;

Too many things

I thought I saw in her,
my lover,
my promised friend until
she told me that she was leaving,
his face in all her dreams,
I caught a hint of it in the words she said,
is it any wonder that I am hurt?

I am wounded while he is happy
grasping a dream I wish

I'd never dreamed, still another's in my bed
staring at me with eyes so much like hers and

it only makes me wonder
how long before this fades?
Even as I try to linger in our kiss

still I wonder
how long before this too must go?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment