Translate

Sunday 26 January 2014

A contemplative poem about life by David Tombale: Transcendence

Transcendence is a contemplative poem about the changing natures of social relationships following the invention of social media and what it means to be human in this century. It was originally titled Transcendent Human but Transcendence seemed a better fit.

Transcendence

Cables spooling round my knobby
Knees, head bent low to breathe
The scent of ozone and twisted chips

Transcendent part of me, talking emails
And the internet, in space and out of it,
My eyes revolving in chat rooms and
Movie blogs, game forums and the
Intranet

My body slipping off me like flesh and bone
As my mind is left in the places in-between

The Facebooks flick their tongues at me,
The Twitters coiling around my feet and
I’m rejecting halves and quarters of me,
The loneliness, the longing, the kisses transmitted
In molecules from A to B, B to C until they call it loving
And I’m losing some sense of self and us which
Is why I’m giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment