Translate

Monday 10 March 2014

A poem about working life by David Tombale: Early Monday Morning

This poem touches upon that feeling that a lot of us have after the weekend when we realize our working week is once again starting. For too many of us there is discontent and disappointment that we aside in order to do our jobs and that is what this piece is about.
Early Monday Morning

I work for pennies sometimes and
Sometimes I don’t work at all

The quiet drudgery of making small
Ends meet is chipping pieces off me
And sometimes I cannot wake at all

But my alarm clock seems to ring while
I’m huddled in my sheets,

That ring, ring,
That incessant noise that grips my
Heart so tightly that my blood congeals
And hardens until I am undone and
Stirring, crawling from my slumber with
All the grace of a broken marionette,

Now the tv’s static turns to pictures of
Stars and cars, hotel rooms and expensive
Dreams that I drink from the bottom of
My cup as I fit into my polished shoes and
Turn off all these happy lights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment