Translate

Tuesday 4 March 2014

A poem about death by David Tombale: A song for lover's end

A song for lover's end addresses a topic I've struggled to write a few times. Death has always fascinated me and I've tried to look at it through as many eyes as possible. I think this is as close as I've come far thus far to capturing a little of that pain.
A song for lover's end

The daisies smell so beautiful
In the daytime

I pick a few and
Place them in your hair

You look so peaceful, almost
Sleeping

I dare not wake you
To watch the sun breaking across
The sky

Egg yolk yellow and vibrant
Red like the roses you once loved

I sit beside you and sing a lullaby
That clings to me among memories
Of a gentle youth

My mother’s hand still patient
Upon my back and my father’s eyes
Still staring out at things he must
Have wished he’d make for me

A world he fought and tamed
And fashioned into home
I think of all of it while holding tightly
To your freezing hand

I think of it while I close your lids and
Kiss these lips that I shall never kiss again

And say those last three words
You’ll never hear again

I said I love you my old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment