Translate

Tuesday 11 March 2014

A poem about memory by David Tombale: When I am lost

When I am lost describes a connection I felt and still feel for my old high school. There is something about that school that will follow me for the rest of my days and I think that's true for everyone in regards to at least one place they've been in their lives. That these places always serve as shrines to memories we cherish.
When I am lost

There were too many calls to make,
Too many places to be when I could
Have gone anywhere but there’s this
Place where I lay my head and it feels
Right.

This one place where I come often,
Not really to sleep but to be renewed
As if I want to be reborn again in a
Bid to become better in my second life.

This place I come has all the look of
A school but it’s really my home.

I left my heart amongst the chalkboards
And battered desks, loaned out my love
Hoping someday I might get it back but
It was not to be.

I came back here when I turned twenty-one
Only to realize that there was no place to return
To.

It should look the same but it isn’t.
Something is missing here so I’m parked
Outside trying to remember what I was
Trying to find but it’s getting harder to
Picture me inside its walls perhaps because
She’s missing and without her the echoes
Grow, the grounds look old and I’m just
A little boy stuck looking for himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment