Translate

Sunday 16 March 2014

A poem about loneliness by David Tombale: Sitting in the park

I wrote this piece based on a scene that transpired in my life when I was in-between relationships. I'd gotten out of one and was months from my next and experiencing a little envy and anger at the fact that the world continued on without me, completely indifferent to my suffering.
Sitting in the park

I had good days and bad days
While learning to be young,
Learning how to whistle like
The other boys (I never did)
Learning how to talk to girls
(I think I had more fun throwing
Rocks at them)

Don’t blame me.
I was young.

Too young to understand that
I’d regret those taunts someday,
Too young to see the pleasure
Spent in a young girl’s company
And now I’m older, sitting crosswise
On a bench watching all the little
Couples wishing a meteor would
Come to crush me and them.

I am lonely. I have these numbers
In my phone but no one to call so
I sit here pretending that I can hear
All their conversations,
The “I love you’s” and “I’ve missed
You’s” as if I’m taking part, as if
Somehow I am a part of them but
Slowly it gets darker and the couples
Begin to leave and then it’s just me
Sitting lonely, a quiet stranger
Sitting in the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment