Translate

Tuesday 9 December 2014

A poem about youth and ambition by David Tombale: The mowana tree

The mowana tree is about the ambitions we have as children and how our initial drive can stall as we grow up.

The mowana tree
Down below the mowana tree lying
prone and silent among the grass
the shadows spread out from my past,
flickered thoughts and memories
spinning like a top, golden bright yet oddly
sad when measured against my dad,
I have grown to slay no giants nor
travel oceans wide and vast, no instead
I’ve filled my desk with piles of books
and promises, tired lines and maps,
I’ve grown old but sown no oats and
wrote no poems that have filled these
eyes with tears but have no fear
because these doors lay open and all
those poets who came before me
have enshrined a dream of fame and
fortune that has me hooked, and
moving forward no bruised eye or
quickly spoken lie will change my course
or lead me off into the darkness of the bush. 

No comments:

Post a Comment