Translate

Wednesday 24 December 2014

A poem about heartache and memories by David Tombale: My pillow

Memories and longing can make us into insomniacs some nights and that frustration is what has inspired My pillow.

My pillow

Most nights thoughts of you still keep
me guessing, what patch of light falls
across your face, what doorway is made
dark by the breath of your passing?
Midnight passes like this, with worrying
and tracking the ticking sound of the
hallway clock that is not you, that does
not sound like your heel clicks across
our marble floors or the heavy sigh that
strains your chest with fury or some mad
frustration you shall never voice.

Every evening I wait for sight of you like a
lonely comet streaking across the distant sky,
I’m needing you constantly and you need me
temporarily like a postman or a milkman,
some stranger to void the silence until you
leave him, with only tears to mark your
presence and the hollowed shape of your
body still pressed against my pillow.

No comments:

Post a Comment