Translate

Saturday 20 December 2014

A poem about memories and heartache by David Tombale: Everglades

The environments we encounter in our lives can make up the background of our memories and our experiences and a poem like Everglades embodies that idea.

Everglades

The trees cast their shadows over me
and beneath their massive bulk scurry
mice and vole and in their passage I’m
reminded I’m alone, on a lonely pilgrimage
to the single elm hidden in the centre
scarred with a heart and our names and
a history not of its own, a past as full as the
waters of the Everglades, the current stirring
with the passage of a gator, in my mind that
scaly prince stalks the quiet world of my solitude,
creeps across the disarray of feelings that reflect my memories
and when he clamps down on my throat it will
be more than heartache that eats me whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment