Translate

Thursday 4 December 2014

A poem about contemplation and writing by David Tombale: The days

There are times when you intend on writing and yet nothing worthwhile comes out. Moments like that are what The days describe.

The days

There are days when the words will not
hear me out, when the dried out version
of my remembered youth will not fill
a page or ten, a book or a passage in my
Bible, the words fulfill me but the present
needs me so the clatter of my keyboard may
have to cease, may sit out silent beneath the
shade of a blacked out screen while the
white buzz of sound runs out.

I could not write a line that felt like my beating
heart beating out a memory of a summer’s day,
the heat and flight of birds in June,
there is no music, no hope or fury,
 I place my book bag by my dusty window where
the sun will see it, where the wind will blow
against its glass perhaps to wake the thoughts
that rest inside, the note pads full of scribbling,
the pens half filled with ink.  

No comments:

Post a Comment