Translate

Thursday 6 February 2014

A war poem by David Tombale: Back home

Back home was my first attempt at writing war poetry and while I've never had personal experience at the war front I was inspired by the works of Wilfred Owen. As one of my favourite poets of all time I felt I owed it to Wilfred to at least try my hand at a few.
Back home


A clear meadow on an early spring morn, I thought,
 I remember my mother's voice, sweet in the stillness
 That preceded waking life and I
Breathed in air undisturbed by polluted enterprise,
 
I remember it all and
It comes back to me on a bloody field in the dead of night,
My breath struggling through a torn cavity,
My flesh seared by napalm and
 My senses assaulted by the stench of my own
 Dying corpse,
 
A clear meadow swaying to rhythm of
The gentlest breeze, a hummingbird alighting on a
 Fragrant rose,
 
Scenes from my memory,
 
An undisturbed day in the bloom of spring,
 
Flashbacks of better days,
Before bitter nights and ricochets of bullet
 Rounds-
 
and I fall back to dream of those better days
 As my breath rattles in my throat and
As I close my eyes darkness creeping
At the edges of my sight I sigh happily and
Walk out onto a clear meadow,
 
Fragrances of sun drenched wheat,
Roses and violets preceding me,
Welcoming me in like a lover who's feet
 Have carried him back home.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment