Translate

Sunday 16 February 2014

A poem about regret by David Tombale: A girl in Sunderland

A girl in Sunderland reflects upon a relationship I had with a female poet. It touches upon the mistakes I made and the wasted hopes that arose after the relationship's end.
A girl in Sunderland

I met a girl in Sunderland who wrote me letters
And poems, it's a shame I didn't mean it, I didn't
Mean all those letters I answered back, promising
Marriage and all of that, I met a girl in Sunderland
So beautiful, so strong, she loved me, I look back
At it and know, I wish, I only wish I'd loved her more,
But I love her still! I cried but in truth I was alone,
Talking only to these mirrors as if they could hear
My woe, I kept her letters, and I reread them every
Saturday as I sat at my window watching as it
Rained, she loved me I know that now, that
Girl from Sunderland, I only wish, I wish I'd loved
Her more, maybe then I'd have her now, white
Picket fence, a small dog, maybe a little boy or
Girl but those are just memories and images,
Leaves upon the river, I sit there at its bank
And watch them float away and lay some of those
Letters I wrote but never sent beside them, like
Paper ships perhaps sailing to lands I'll never
See, and maybe one might find that girl and she'll
Think of me, think of us and perhaps come on home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment