Translate

Friday 27 December 2013

An idealistic political poem by David Tombale: When my people shout

This political poem was born during the period where voter registration was taking place in my country and symbolized the betrayed the idealistic feelings of many of the youth at that time to the politics that were shaping the nation.
When my people shout 
I’m sick of broken promises delivered
with all the panache and slickness of a
Hollywood star, I’m sick of waiting in
the rain and the dark listening still to
words that I could swear sound
real but then all these dreams sold from
the back of a campaign bus seem a little
empty when the sun happens to rise
over the hills again.

I’m sick of shaking hands with smiling
faces that tell me my race don’t matter
that if you got a problem that’s what my
door is for, that’s what I’m living for, I’m
sick of raising up just to watch them fall
when the lights go up and the money starts.

I’m sick of writing letters cause my bank
is wrong and my house is gone, I’m sick
of watching my daughter cry while her body
aches cause she can’t eat at all but most of
all I’m sick of sitting here throwing slippers
at this tv screen so I think I’ll dust my
placards off get on my feet and let these
careless figures hear my people shout.

No comments:

Post a Comment