Translate

Friday 27 December 2013

A passionate love poem by David Tombale: Within the distance

This love poem grew out of a crush I developed for a young singer I met once at a Christmas concert. I hope everyone will find something to relate to in its lines.
Within the distance
My thoughts tiptoe around my bedroom floor
trying carefully not to awaken me but still slipping
in and out dragging me from sleep. My thoughts
are restless and a little tipsy from drinking in the
sights, the liquor almost ghostly white as it swims
around the rim of a glass I emptied out tonight.

My thoughts it seems are thinking of you
distilling meaning from the melodies of your words
I heard you sing and it’s been keeping me awake
but I can’t stare at the turning of my clock, it runs
so slowly and keeps calling out to me that my hours
are escaping. It is you that has me here trying to
mediate my loneliness into some grand design
that you tear to pieces each time I catch a fatal
glimpse of your amber eyes.

I am not sleeping and my mind has caught me
laughing at the shadow puppets I’m painting on the
walls, a scene as old as I am young that takes me
back to aging bones and dried out lakes, to shining
knights and dragons that ruled the skies, it’s almost
vivid like a reflection carried by my soul. It is you
who brings me here to where fantasy dances with
this reality and you live within the distance carved
out by my pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment