Translate

Friday 27 December 2013

A love poem by David Tombale: The honey in the lion's mouth

This love poem is one of a series of poems I wrote from my younger days all the way to my adulthood that tell of my great weakness for extraodinary women. This how I have chosen to honour my crushes.
The honey in the lion's mouth

In seeing you I see myself reflected
in your eyes and my face looks somewhat
strange when I’m staring at you. It’s
a look I’ve seen in many faces bent to
pray, somehow you’ve become my prayer,
words I whispered into the dark, my heart
is needy, I, I cannot breath, I’m in need
of air and love and shelter and of these
three I will always dream of love, these
things I say, I say them only in this place
where no one’s listening so they will never
know I have pinned my hopes on a mirage
that shimmers in the desert, a mirage that
I think waits for me because no one will never
know her as I do, she is hardly perfect,
she is no one’s angel yet she is mine, the
rhythm in the rhyme, the answer in the dark
the honey in the lion’s mouth, this woman
whose name I speak out loud who will never
know me is the only woman I’ll ever need.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment