Translate

Tuesday 11 November 2014

A poem about love and regret by David Tombale: Where the palm trees stir

Where the palm trees stir is largely about trying to run away from your problems and learning that you carry them with you.

Where the palm trees stir

Some days the words will not be spoken,
some nights the thoughts will not be shared
but I was there and you were there when
the crumbling walls we built went down,
in the earthquake of too many fights and
the stubborn will of a silence kept and kept
still, for I won’t begin to talk, I turn the key
and the lion’s roar of this diesel engine will
only ask for more.

I will hide my tears amongst the gravel stones
of the great outdoors, hide my love and the crimes
I did in a stolen kiss some place far from here where
the palm trees stir, but when the miles have blurred
and I have loved and left every place I’ve found
I fear I will only mourn us more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment