Translate

Friday 17 October 2014

A poem about the wonders of Africa by David Tombale: Homecoming

Homecoming is about celebrating the beauty of Africa.

Homecoming


My heart swells with a love for
Africa, the thunder of drums
beneath the green canvas of tents,
the roar of lions across the rivers and
marshes, the swell of oceans that kiss
the hulls of oil ships crossing the
Horn of Africa, the rains across
the mountains that slap against
the skin, bracing and alive,
the jazz clubs, the night spots,
Africa why are we alive if not for your
music? Your Mandelas, your cruise ships,
your safaris,
the dreams of little black boys and
little black girls in their school clothes
speaking and rapping in Swahili and Zulu,
Afrikaans and Tswana.

Africa I am the last ship crossing the canal
yearning to run against the sands of foreign shores
but I will never forget you, your sweet morula,
the language of my fathers and mothers barefooted
and straining, tilling the hard soil for watermelons
and wheat.

Africa I see you on the backs of postcards
and upon the silver screen,
Africa I see you as my plane lands on
the tarmac in Oliver Tumbo or on
the runways of Sir Seretse Khama and
all these songs say,
“Welcome back.”

No comments:

Post a Comment