Translate

Thursday 7 August 2014

A poem about nature and spirituality by David Tombale: Drive


Drive explores the connection between nature and spirituality.
 
 
 
Drive
 
I drove down this highway on a fast trek
 into the wilderness, I am searching for
 God amongst the beasts, the lions, the
 guinea fowls.
 
 I drove down this highway to watch
 the stars go down, white showers of
 starlight fall to lay a crown around a
 mountain’s head, gone yellow as autumn
 comes, as the winter threatens.
 
 I drove down this highway and ignored
 the road signs and speed limits,
 it’s my heart that tracks the needle,
 going sixty, going eighty, one twenty now
 and still headed west.
 
 I want to watch the sun set,
 I want to see these seas of fire
 burn the bushveldt,
 I want to be there when civilization ends,
 I want to drive this old jalopy into the falling
 halo of the sun.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment