Translate

Tuesday 27 May 2014

A poem about friendship by David Tombale: Promises



Promises is a piece I wrote that reviews my relationship with the friends I've made over the years. In the end it might across as regret for the way time has shaped how some of these relationships evolved.


'Summer' photo (c) 2011, Capture The Uncapturable - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/


Promises

I have loved these things in moderation
from early days to withered age as if the
seasons had told me all, of the passing glory
of those summer days, of baking heat and
violent joy, of yellows, greens and purples
that inset themselves behind these eyes
like the curves around a fallen oak

There are screaming trucks that scare the birds and
whooping cries from pre pubescent lungs coated
gray and black by the cherry red of these after
meal cigarettes

It all looks so new to me flipping through
pictures of us in these Instagrams,
too much pollen and beer cans crushed by us and
in the wake of it, in the midst, sitting somewhere
behind us she waves, a vivid figure there to remind us
that some promises do fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment