Translate

Monday 29 September 2014

A poem about solitude and the night by David Tombale: Awake

Awake is about being alone at such a time when every sound and every sight seems to be meant only for you.

Awake


Some nights the shadows drift like
ships around the harbor of my room
and I alone am there to watch them sail,

when the stars flare like fireflies
bobbing in a glass jar of blue-black
skies I alone am there to watch them
flash.

This house is restless with the
sound of mouse paws and the little
clicks of cockroach feet and I alone
am there to hear them.

All night I sit beside her in a wicker chair
and listen to her breathe,
softly like summer winds that brush
across the grass.

I alone am there to watch her sleep as the
daylight begins to steal across the floor,
peeking past the blinds to shine a light upon
her smiling in her dreams and
I alone am awake to welcome Him
into this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment